Thursday, November 3, 2011

NewlyMaid

I was excited when I came across a site called NewlyMaid, where you are able to trade-in used bridesmaid and prom dresses for a "new" dress.   You mail your used dress in a bag to their NYC office, they inspect it and issue you a credit towards one of their dresses.  Sounds great, right?  Well, not so much.  I sent a $300 dress that I wore for a wedding a few years ago, and I realize that I wasn't going to get a $300 credit since it was 1) used, 2) somewhat dated and 3) I was willing to send it to some random company, which means it was about to go in the donation pile. 

So I sent it along and got an email from them a few weeks later saying I had a $60-$70 credit (depending on which dress I picked).  I was excited to start online shopping!  But when I got to their site, I was shocked to find out that my credit didn't get me far.  

Here are some of the options:

Cute, right?  Yea, they are cute.  And if my $70 credit paid for, let's say, 75% of the dress, then I probably would be stoked.  But have it pay for less than 50%?  Eh. 

I love this idea and if these were somehow designer (I used that term VERY loosely) dresses or something that I could fathom paying an additional $70 for, then I would be into it.  If the dress was really worth $140, I'd be shipping in old dresses every day.  

Great concept, in any case.  Are there other companies out there like this one that offer better value?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...