Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quick Do-It-Yourself Project: Key Rack


I am happy to feature my first DIY project!  I bought a ton of stuff at the local thrift store and am slowly getting around to re-purposing everything.  I bought this picture frame for $8 and new I could find something to do with it!  I decided to make it into a key rack for our foyer area.



I first removed the dragonflies & glass frames and sanded the wood.  After I cleaned everything, I sprayed  primer and let that dry.  Then I sprayed two coats of white paint over the primer.  Once I let that dry, I used sandpaper and a hammer to give it a distressed look.  I didn't realize I wanted to give it a distressed look until after I had done two coats of paint.  Otherwise I would have done one light coat.  Live and learn!  

I then used the sandpaper on the glass, which I am not sure if it even helped, but I wanted to be sure there was at least something for the paint to hold to.  I used Rust-Oleum 1913-830 11 oz Black Chalkboard Spray Paint ($4 at Home Depot or $3 online) and covered in two coats.  I used the entire can, just to be sure there would be flaws. One thing I did learn is not to keep anything you paint with chalkboard paint outside after you paint it.  I came back to find that the wind had blown some dirt onto one of the frames giving it a bumpy, uneven look.  I had to pick off with a toothpick and then paint again.   


Once everything was dry, I put it all back together.  For $12  -- $8 for the frame and $4 for the chalkboard paint (I had white paint and primer already) -- I would say it is pretty cute.  My hubby and I have nicknames for each other that were written in chalk before, but I thought it wouldn't make sense to showcase :)  The great thing is that you can wipe away with a damp cloth and start again!  Here are some more pics - enjoy!





P.S. I hope to get a proper camera soon, so please don't judge me on these poor-quality pics!

22 comments:

  1. What a good idea. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea and so cute! I'd love for you to link up to my feature friday link party.

    www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! I am so bad at DIY projects, but this is one I could definitely do!

    Following on gfc

    http://www.randomthoughtsandotherthingsbybrenda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea. Thanks for sharing it. It turned out wonderfully.

    I am visiting from WFMW. It is nice to "meet" you. Stop by and say hi anytime - LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found you over on Christina's 20 Below Thursdays post. I love your chalkboard frame! Great job - and if this is just your first try I better become a follower cause you are going to make some amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great!! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I had this exact same frame years ago - the frame actaully broke but I kept the dragonfly hooks around to use for a future project. Of course, I can't figure out where I put them! Love the chalk board addition to yours!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! I love the chalkboards. I hope you will come show this off at my VIP Party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.

    @LibbiesHome this isn't my first DIY project, but the first I've posted on this blog. There will be tons more to come :)

    @Sommer I posted two of my DIY projects at your VIP party. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am CONSTANTLY losing my keys, I love the chalkboard paint! Thanks so much for showing it off!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable. We have a couple pegs by the door but this is soooo much cuter. Your tutorial is also very clear and helpful. I would love it if you would top by and share at the link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    :)Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-3-craft-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your key rack makeover! I am now following your blog.

    www.BlissmadeDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable-I love dragonflies and you've inspired me-I'm your newest follower-stop over to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too, too cute!! Great job! Thanks for sharing about the spray chalkboard paint! Visiting from PDonP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cool! Stopping by to invite you to link up to Thrifty Thursdays. Blessings!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This project turned out awesome!! I love how it turned out. Definitely inspirational!! :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Looooooove chalkboard paint and love this rack! Well done! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

    I look forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful transformation! You did a beautiful job antiquing the piece and I love the dragonfly hooks!

    Thank you for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...