I first removed the dragonflies & glass frames and sanded the wood. After I cleaned everything, I sprayed primer and let that dry. Then I sprayed two coats of white paint over the primer. Once I let that dry, I used sandpaper and a hammer to give it a distressed look. I didn't realize I wanted to give it a distressed look until after I had done two coats of paint. Otherwise I would have done one light coat. Live and learn!
I then used the sandpaper on the glass, which I am not sure if it even helped, but I wanted to be sure there was at least something for the paint to hold to. I used Rust-Oleum 1913-830 11 oz Black Chalkboard Spray Paint ($4 at Home Depot or $3 online) and covered in two coats. I used the entire can, just to be sure there would be flaws. One thing I did learn is not to keep anything you paint with chalkboard paint outside after you paint it. I came back to find that the wind had blown some dirt onto one of the frames giving it a bumpy, uneven look. I had to pick off with a toothpick and then paint again.
Once everything was dry, I put it all back together. For $12 -- $8 for the frame and $4 for the chalkboard paint (I had white paint and primer already) -- I would say it is pretty cute. My hubby and I have nicknames for each other that were written in chalk before, but I thought it wouldn't make sense to showcase :) The great thing is that you can wipe away with a damp cloth and start again! Here are some more pics - enjoy!
P.S. I hope to get a proper camera soon, so please don't judge me on these poor-quality pics!