Monday, August 15, 2011

Quick & Easy Lamp Makeover

Lamps can be expensive, huh?  I never really realized since I've had the same few lamps for a while now.  But shopping around has made me realized you can't get a good-lookin' one for less than $40, which won't break the bank, but it's a lamp!  I was at my local thrift store and saw a shade for $3 and this lamp for $2.

I used some sand paper to try and scuff up a little before I primed.  Not really sure if it's necessary but I thought I'd better be safe than sorry.  Then I primed and added 2 coats of white spray paint.  Then to tackle the shade.  

Originally I thought I was going to do add gold leaf to it. I was inspired by this lamp from Pier 1.

 Unfortunately I realized the shade was stained after I had already bought it.  So I decided to cover with fabric.

I laid the shade on top of the fabric and hot glued one end down along the shade's hem (see picture below).  Then I wrapped the shade and glued again along the sem.  I then tucked the ends in and glued to the inside of the shade.  Since the inside bottom hem was uneven, I added ribbon to the edge on the inside to hide it.  This was really more for me than anything else - it would drive me crazy if I saw it from below.  I know, I know, I am buh-honkers.  OR you could just cut it evenly in the first place :) 

And that's it!  Easy as pie :)  As Steve Carell would say, "I love lamp."  I already had the fabric leftover from some pillows I sewed, so all in all, the lamp cost me $5.

4 comments:

  1. love! now just to get end tables, so i can do this with lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this lamp! I am always looking for new ways to cover shades also! THANKS!
    Ky
    http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking forever for a floor lamp that cost less than $100, eventually found an old 1920's Mogul 6-way complete with reflector and silk shade on the local Craigslist for just $20. It currently sits next to my desk in my bedroom. You can see pics here and my blog is The Vintage Recipe Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. At Stone Solutions we offer you the perfect solution to updating tired, worn or outdated Benchtop with a minimum of fuss and cost.
    Our fabricators are fully certified and we also offer the services of fully licensed plumbers and electricians if needed. Sinks,
    taps and appliances are also part of our service.

    Benchtop makeovers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...